ESPN 1230AM Bakersfield Sports Radio
Your Radio Store
CT Schubert
Las Vegas Hilton

Corey Costelloe's Blog

Monday, December 8, 2008

Best Teams Playing for BCS Title...

To steal the words from the pre game ritual of the USC Trojans..."it's 'bout to get crazy in here." The BCS final tally placed #1 Oklahoma and #2 Florida in the national title game and I must be crazy for saying this but "the BCS got it right."
That's right, the me hater of all haters, the BCS-dislikin', playoff-wantin', clear-cut national title hopin', 20 bowl game-watchin' stooge that I am will admit it, OU and Florida are the best in the land.
I know the system for putting them in place is far from perfect, but look at the numbers and it's hard to disagree. These are the best two teams in the country heading into the bowl season. Oklahoma has won seven straight since that loss to Texas, putting up over 45 pts in each contest while beating four ranked teams in the process. The Sooners beat a total of five Top-25 teams this season, same as Florida. Texas, USC, Alabama and Texas Tech only defeated three. I gotta go with the teams that pushed the envelope this season, and came out on top 5 times.
As far as the Big 12 three-way tie argument goes, I have to consider it a wash. Texas beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech beat Texas and OU trounced Texas Tech. Had the beating not been so harsh by Oklahoma, maybe things would be different. I think Texas can thank their buddies in Lubbock for rolling over and making the Sooners look like a National Title contender again.
Florida is playing in a class of their own. While I could make a case for USC because their defense has allowed 10 or fewer points in 8 of their 9 games since the Oregon State loss, the Trojan offense has been a little under performing this season and definitely not at the level of Florida or Oklahoma as we speak.
I don't like our current system, the computer rankings are funny, the formula doesn't make any sense and what happens on the field doesn't always turn into rewards in the post season. I get all that, but I think we're fortunate this year to have the two best teams going head to head January 8th.
I told you..."it's 'bout to get crazy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home