ESPN 1230AM Bakersfield Sports Radio
Your Radio Store
CT Schubert
Las Vegas Hilton

Corey Costelloe's Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Taking this Seriously...

I chuckled when I learned Bakersfield Jam owner Stan Ellis wanted select members of the media and season ticket holders to 'vote' for the new head coach of his NBA D League team. Then I was honored when I found out I had the only radio vote, now I'm acting like I'm hiring someone to run my own company.
I received all the resumes, the bio information and my official ballot. At first I thought it kinda gimmicky, then I came to the realization after talking to Stan, the team will really weigh my vote heavily. As Stan put it "we wanted to take all the knowledge the media who covers this stuff has and put it to use." He also went on to say "then if it doesn't work out, I can blame you!" Very funny, but very true.
I always wondered what the process was like when a GM or owner had to hire a head coach, what they looked for, what they were seeking...now I sort of know.
I have a packet of resumes on my desk, a computer running with background info and history up in another window of some of the candidates. I sort my favorites like I used to sort baseball cards, then I resort and sort again. I'm looking at everything from coaching experience to success, franchises they've worked for and what those teams were like when they were there. Regional location is important as well, a coach closer to Bakersfield might be a little happier considering his family isn't so far away. I don't think whoever gets this job is going to be relocating the fam to Bakersfield on the salary they're going to be paid. Absence may make the heart grow fonder but I want whoever is coaching to be worried about his offensive system and not about missing his daughter's dance recital.
The pressure is on, I want whoever I select to not only get the job but be successful as well. Then again they could be a complete train wreck, and I won't be asked to vote again.
The list is down to 10 candidate now that one has dropped out and accepted another job, I guess my vote just got easier. Oh wait, I gotta re sort now, my top five just got shifted.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home